With a population of 120,000, Lahti is a growing, vibrant city where environmental choices are made every day. Lahti combines the best of both worlds: a magnificent lake scenery, diverse nature and originality of a small town, yet the public transport, energy solutions and cleantech business opportunities of a major city.
The City of Lahti has a vision to thrive internationally as a bold environmental city for people and businesses! The strategic environmental targets of Lahti are:
- To cut the CO2 emissions 70% from 1990 level by 2030
- To be a climate neutral and resilient city by 2040
- To be a waste-free and complete circular economy city by 2050
- To protect nature and valuable freshwater and groundwater resources
- To increase all sustainable urban mobility modes: walking, cycling, public transportation
In 2016, Lahti also joined the Finnish Sustainable Communities Network (FISU) and committed to working towards becoming carbon-free and waste-free, and curbing over-consumption by 2050.
Green Lahti video series
Green City Lahti video series present the internationally recognized green city and what it offers to its residents.