With a population of 120,000, Lahti is a growing, vibrant city where environmental choices are made every day. Lahti combines the best of both worlds: a magnificent lake scenery, diverse nature and originality of a small town, yet the public transport, energy solutions and cleantech business opportunities of a major city.
The City of Lahti has a vision to thrive internationally as a bold environmental city for people and businesses! The strategic environmental targets of Lahti are:
- To be a carbon-neutral city by 2025
- To cut CO2 emissions by 80% from 1990 level by 2025
- To be a waste-free and complete circular economy city by 2050
- To protect nature and valuable freshwater and groundwater resources
- To increase all sustainable urban mobility modes: walking, cycling, public transportation
In 2016, Lahti also joined the Finnish Sustainable Communities Network (FISU) and committed to working towards becoming carbon-free and waste-free, and curbing over-consumption by 2050.
Green Lahti video series
Green City Lahti video series present the internationally recognized green city and what it offers to its residents.
Green Capital 2021 team contact info
Executive director Milla Bruneau, email@example.com, tel. +358 400 408 951
Programme director Saara Vauramo, saara. firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. + 358 44 716 1585
Head of communications Saara Piispanen, email@example.com, tel. +358 44 416 4680
Environmental producer Laura Puikkonen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Puplic participation planner Emma Sulkanen, email@example.com