Welcome to comprehensive school! Compulsory education usually begins in the year in which the child turns 7. In Lahti, an average of 1,200 first-graders start school every year.
First-graders, who start their school in August, enrol in the school in January. Future first-graders have the following options:
- enrol in their local school (the school in their own school admission area)
- apply for a place at a school in another admission area
- apply for a place at a private school
- apply for a place at a school in another municipality
Those who enrol in their local school have priority when allocating school places. Pupils admitted to a school in another admission area are not entitled to the school transport benefit (LINK: School transport). Children applying for postponement of their education or preparatory instruction for basic education or need special support will also enrol in their local school.
Read the ‘Welcome to comprehensive school’ guide
Irregular start of school
School can be started already at the age of 6 if the child has the prerequisites to manage at school based on psychological and, if necessary, medical examinations. Correspondingly, on the basis of these examinations, a guardian can apply for permission for the child to postpone the start of school to the age of 8.
If the advancement or postponement of a child’s schooling is considered, the matter must be discussed with the early childhood education teacher or experts at the children’s clinic.
With regard to postponement, the pre-school or children’s clinic psychologist assesses the child’s readiness for school and the need for more detailed individual examinations on the basis of the observations of the home and day care centre.
Enrolment in first grade
In January, future first-graders receive a ‘Welcome to comprehensive school’ guide and enrolment instructions by post at home.
- Children applying for postponement of their education or preparatory instruction for basic education or need special support must also enrol in their local school.
Enrolment for children starting first grade in August 2021 is in January 2021. A more detailed enrolment schedule and instructions will be updated on this page closer to the time.
- The principal makes the admission decision. Information about the school placement will be sent home by post.
- Upon enrolment, the Wilma credentials distributed to the guardians are activated.
- If necessary, a place in afternoon activities is sought for the child.
- The guardian makes an appointment for the child’s health check with the school nurse.
- A familiarisation day is arranged for future first-graders and their guardians in May.